By now, most of us know the rant Kanye Kardashian burst out with after this year’s Grammy’s, with (no) respect to Beck for winning Album of the Year:
“I don’t even know what [Beck] said. I just know that, the Grammys, if they want real artists to keep coming back, they need to stop playing with us. We aren’t going to play with them no more. ‘Flawless.’ Beyoncé’s video. And Beck needs to respect artistry, he should have given his award to Beyoncé. At this point, we tired of it. What happens is, when you keep on diminishing art, and not respecting the craft, and smacking people in the face after they deliver monumental feats of music, you’re disrespectful to inspiration. We, as musicians, have to inspire people who go to work every day, and they listen to that Beyoncé album, and they feel like it takes them to a different place. And then they do this promotional event, and they’ll run the music over somebody’s speech, the artist, because they want commercial advertising. We aren’t playing with them anymore. And by the way, I got my wife, my daughter, and I got my clothing line, so I’m not going to do nothing that would put my daughter at risk, but I am here to fight for creativity. That’s why I didn’t say anything tonight, but you all knew what it meant when ‘Ye stepped on that stage.” -From The Daily Beast
By golly, Mr. Kardashian really let people know he was outraged. And Beyonce is amazing. Given everything going on in the world today, I am glad Kanye is focusing his ire and vitrol and things that really matter.
So I thought … at the Parent of the Year Awards, I wonder what it would feel like if I was a nominee and someone else won. And I realized I would be outraged also, because:
- What do you mean most nominees make dinner more than 2 nights a week? And how come making the trip to pick up carry out doesn’t count?
- Is it really “irresponsible parenting” if your 13 and 12 year old sons have seen the uncut versions of Wedding Crashers, The Hangover, Role Models, 22 Jump Street, and Old School? Because I would so be the winner of that category.
- How is it possible that scrapbooking every milestone for your child is a measure of anything other than too much free time on your hands?
- Teaching your kids sign language does too involve “the finger”.
- Do your kids know all the words to Uptown Funk? Do you beam with pride when your boys croon like Usher ‘We want a lady on the street, but a freak in the bed…’? Are your boys as internationally savvy as my munchkins, who can belt out lyrics like ‘In Brazil they’re freaky with big ol’ boobs’, better than Pitbull?
- More importantly, do your boys cringe and complain when a Katy Perry song comes on the radio? (If you can’t answer yes to that one, you shouldn’t even be nominated).
So, I guess I do understand why Mr. Kardashian is so miffed. Of course, he’s trying real hard to be a decent human being about all that anger and frustration. I mean, we all believe this:
Hey Kanye. Respect this: