For the past few years, my office has held a Booze exchange to help us kick off our annual year-end holiday party. It’s strictly voluntary to partipate. The rules are simple:
- participants must bring a wrapped booze item
- the item should be wrapped in such a way as to not give away the contents
- numbers are put in a bag for the total number of participants in the game
- everyone picks a number and whoever gets 1 starts by opening one of the wrapped gifts
- then the person with #2 can “steal” whatever #1 got, or pick something new from the wrapped selections that remain
- stealing can continue ad naseum in one turn, but you may not “re-steal” a gift that was stolen from you during a round (a round is defined as until the person with the next number gets to select)
- this continues until everyone has taken a turn and all the presents are unwrapped
- Gifts must cost at least $15 and the name of the product shall not contain any of the following terms – “Boones Farm”, “Thunderbird”, “Wild Irish Rose”, “Pabst” or “Grain” as a result of the unfortunate 2008 booze backlash/nuclear meltdown incident when a vino and scotch aficionado got stuck with a 2007 vintage of Boones Farm Mountain Berry
This year, we had 30 people playing. I selected the number 5. Certainly not the kind of number you want if you are seeking the opportunity to make choice selections toward the end of the game. But I had already determined that if what I selected got stolen, I’d go to the gift table and take my chance on the unknown.
I am an excellent booze picker. Too good, in fact. This is how it went for me:
Jose Cuervo Tequila – on the rocks with salt, and on my way to margarita heaven. Stolen immediately by the next person.
Bombay Sapphire Gin – gin & tonics for mommy tonight – woo hoo!! Stolen two turns later by another G&T fan.
Makers Mark with red wax top – scotch and soda (yea!!). Stolen 2 turns later.
Patron Tequila – hot damn, I’m margarita-bound again, bitches! Stolen immediately. Truth be told, the Patron would begin a rather nasty circular Tequila stealing episode every other turn.
Kaluha – oh glorious mudslide, here I come! Stolen 2 turns later.
Bailey’s Irish Creme – Bring. on. the. Buzz. Stolen right away.
Makers Mark with blue wax top (Hannukah version?) – Ha! I’m down (again) with scotch and soda. Stolen immediately.
Jack Daniels + his/hers t-shirts holiday pack– Ah, Jack & Diet Coke. Stolen by a person who was “happy to take it off my hands and embrace their inner redneck”. The Jack then spent a few rounds being stolen, as many in the room attempted to “steal” their way to embracing their inner redneck. Appropriate, huh?
You might think that given all this, I would end up with something rather unsavory, but I’m pleased to report that it’s winner, winner Disaronna for dinner!